Q: When does NNM close for severe weather warnings and how do I find out?
A: At times, emergencies such as severe weather, fire, or power failure may disrupt the School’s operations. In extreme cases, these circumstances may require the closing of the School, at the discretion of the Head of School (or designate), together with the Board President (or designate). Such closings, although infrequent, are sometimes necessary due to severe weather and other possible factors. All school community members will be notified of closings typically by email, voicemail and text alert (if you opted in) using our urgent alert system. Updates are also posted on the school website.
Factors considered in the decision to close school include:
- Unsafe traveling conditions due to snow or ice.
- Weather predictions for the next 12 hours.
- The condition and frequency of public transportation.
- Adequate heat and water in the School.
- Extremely cold temperatures affecting vehicles.
- Staff and student exposure to extremely cold temperatures during carpool times.
- Emergencies involving community safety.
When classes at the School are cancelled for two or more days, teachers will post classroom work for students on their class blogs.