Please join me next Monday, Sept. 19 at 5:30** in the Little Theater to learn more about NNM’s relationships with the Montessori Model United Nations (MMUN) and Nuestros Pequeños Hermanos (NPH) and the opportunity for your child to join one of these trips. All Junior High parents AND students are welcome to attend. Here are a few things to know in advance:
- Our trips with NPH and MMUN are transformative experiences and excellent opportunities for cross-cultural experiences, global citizenship, language immersion and making new friends.
- We are offering three trip options again this year: MMUN NYC, NPH Honduras and NPH Guatemala.
- We don’t want the cost to be a prohibitive factor for anyone so we are again working on options for financial assistance.
Our trip to NPH Honduras is in its 6th year and NPH Guatemala in its 2nd year. It is our 3rd time participating in MMUN. This year, instead of the international MMUN trip, we are opting to participate in the New York conference. The previous international MMUN trips have been amazing opportunities and we expect the NYC version to be just as valuable. The MMUN curriculum is a fantastic program, regardless of where the conference is held. We are making this change for three important reasons:
- The cost of the international MMUN option is significantly higher than the NPH trips and the MMUN NYC trip. We were worried that the higher cost prohibited some students from participating.
- The MMUN conferences offer an excellent opportunity for our students to collaborate with students from around the world. The NYC conference has many more student delegates from more countries. It includes more than 2000 students (more than 5 times as many as the 2016 Rome conference), thus providing even more opportunities for cross-cultural exchanges.
- Because of the incredible value of the MMUN experience, we are making long-term plans for it to become available to every NNM 8th grader. Our multi-year plan is to include the MMUN NYC as part of the 8th grade trip (Starting next school, 2017-2018. This year’s 8th grade trip will remain exactly as it has been. Future 8th grade trips will retain many treasured traditions like a visit to Chinatown in New York, plus the addition of the MMUN conference). This year’s attendance at MMUN NYC is a way for us to become familiar with the conference and confirm that it is going to be an excellent match for us in the long-term.
We will cover everything you need to know on Sept. 19. In the meantime, check out these excellent videos: one is from our 2014 MMUN conference in China and features a very poised Patrick Doyle (NNM Class of 2015) speaking to the entire delegation on behalf of his committee. Another is from NPH and features Stefan, the Director of NPH Honduras speaking about his family of over 600 kids. Finally, a video of the NNM group at NPH Honduras, 2015.
**PS: Nate is planning to have the girls’ varsity volleyball team play the earlier game next Monday afternoon so that they can finish their game and make it back to NNM in time for this presentation.